Medical Services & Public Health
- CEC Member
- One Chief Officer
- Curative and rehabilitative services and
- Preventive and promotive health services
Strategic Objectives of the Department
- Promote production and manufacture of healthcare commodities, consumable, equipment, machines, tools, systems, traditional/alternative medicines and products.
- Formulation, implementation and monitoring of health & sanitization legislation, regulations and policies.
- Regulating delivery of effective and quality healthcare in all facilities in Laikipia.
- Providing effective, quality, value and affordable health services in all County facilities in compliance with laws and the industry practices and certifications.
- Educating and enforcing recommended behaviors to prevent and check disease outbreaks.
- Regulating the health services and nutrition services providers in the County.
- Regulating food handlers and food selling businesses in the County.
- Enabling growth of profitable health, nutrition and food service businesses in the County.
- Promoting research, development and utilization of indigenous health and nutrition products in partnership with businesses and regulators.
- Promote the establishment of medicinal and related commodities businesses in Laikipia.
- Deliver accessible, cost-effective and quality preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative health interventions and to strengthen health systems for a healthy population.
- Build a consumer-focused integrated primary health care system.
- Increase the focus on health promotion and prevention, screening and early intervention and
- Improve quality, safety, performance and accountability.
The core functions of this department include the following:
Curative and rehabilitative services
- Promote and ensure production and manufacturing of systems, tools, equipment and machines, consumables, medicine and commodities used in health services provision.
- Promotion of primary health care including health education, health promotion, community health services, child health, tuberculosis, HIV, malaria, school health programs, environmental health, maternal health care, immunization, disease surveillance, outreach services, referral, nutrition, occupational safety, food and water quality and safety, disease screening, hygiene and sanitation, disease prevention and control, ophthalmic services, clinical services, rehabilitation, mental health, laboratory services, oral health, disaster preparedness and disease outbreak services, planning and monitoring, health information systems (data collection, collation, analysis and reporting), supportive supervision, patient and health facility records and inventories.
- County health facilities including county and subcounty hospitals, rural health centres, dispensaries, rural health training and demonstration centers.
- Rehabilitation and maintenance of county health facilities including, maintenance of vehicles, medical equipment and machinery.
- Inspection and licensing of medical premises including reporting.
- County health pharmacies including specifications, quantification, storage, distribution, dispensing and rational use of medical commodities.
- Efficient county ambulance services including emergency response and patient referral systems.
- HIV/AIDS and other Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) Treatment and Management.
- Set standards for the delivery of healthcare in the County.
- Develop policies for the practice of Traditional and Alternative Medicine in the County.
- Resource mobilization for service delivery through Health insurance and international community.
- Provide a framework for the development and management of the human resources for health.
- Provide a framework for the effective and efficient procurement, distribution, management and use of health sector goods, works and services that are locally produced.
- Make proposals for the review and enactment of health legislation.
- Provide a framework for the Regulation of food, drugs and health service delivery and practice.
- Equipping county health facilities and pharmacies.
- Establishment of funeral parlors & crematorium.
- Provide oversight over NTRH and NCRH as per Laikipia County Health Services Act.
- Control and licensing of food selling agencies within the County.
- Surveillance and response of disease.
- Provision of health facilities and pharmacies and
- Production of scientific knowledge and publishing.
Preventive and promotive health services
- Health Inspection and other Public Health Services
- Quarantine Administration and overall Sanitary Services
- Provide Regulation in line with Public Health Act
- Promotion of Primary Health Care
- Positive influence of health-seeking behavior
- Promote production of systems, tools, equipment and machines that promote good public health, for example, hand washing stations in establishments and
- Encourage innovations of tools and systems within the sector.
Madam Rose Maitai
Located at Nanyuki Teaching And Referral Hospital(NTRH),
P.O Box 1271-10400,
Nanyuki Town, Kenya.