The Water and Natural Resources department is focused in protecting the water catchment areas in Laikipia County along with the construction of water storage facilities.The department has the goal of making Laikipia county a self sustained county in matters of food production.
Achievements and Goals
- In partnership with Northern Water Service Board the county government has acquired one water bowser truck for Laikipia North Sub County.
- Purchased and distributed over 500 water tanks to women groups and institutions in the county.
- In partnership with Northern Water Service board implementation of Ksh 55 million Tigithi water project.
- Constructed ground level water tank and laid 8.5 km water piping within Rumuruti town.
- Rehabilitated 11 boreholes within Laikipia North and West sub counties.
- Rehabilitated and modernised Doldol town water system
- Planted over 100,000 tree seedlings in forests and public institutions.
- Rehabilitated and dug dams for livestock and domestic use ie Kenyatta dam , Wamura dam, Wiyumiririe IDP camp dam, Gatirima dam, Magadi dam, Ndururu dam,Tetu dam, Kimugundura and Lusiwa dam and Tura dam.
- Purchased and laid water pipes for Murichu Primary School, Limunga Day Secondary School, Tandare Water Project, Mutaro, Suguroi Primary School, IDP Dispensary Water Project, Tigithi Water project, Gakeu Water Project, Kigumo Water Project, Machunguru Water project and Nturukuma water project.
- In the process of installing 184 Km of electric fence to mitigate human wildlife conflict in Laikipia west sub county.