The department of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries has enhanced the provision of field extension services for both crop and livestock production across the county.
Achievements and Goals
- Enhanced the provision of field extension services for both crop and livestock production across the county, Promoted Conservation agriculture through which farmers have benefited.
- Supported the planting of over 50,000 high value fruits trees across the county.
- Supported the capacity building and farmers exposure visits to Yatta and Isinya for models on dry Land agriculture for experiential learning and replication.
- Conducted soil sampling tests for over 600 farmers to determine their soil productivity.
- Demonstrated skills to the public through the annual ASK agricultural shows on new agriculture sector innovation with partners.
- Through field extension services supported the conservation of over 1000 tons of silage made by dairy farmers.
- Installed fish pond liners at Ngobit, Umande ,Githiga, Rumuruti, Igwamiti, Salama and Thingithu.
- Constructed new livestock slaughter houses at Chumvi and Rumuruti.Renovated existing slaughter houses at Nanyuki, Nyahururu, Doldol and Sipili .
- Rehabilitated existing livestock sales yards at Rumuruti, Sipili, and Olmoran .
- Constructed new markets at Debatas, Sosian and Mutara.
- Cumulatively, over 5,000 acres farmers land have been put under improved fodder and pasture production .
- Build and installed milk cooling plants at Nyambogishi, Wiyumiririe, Kinamba, Muhotetu and matanya.
- Increased vaccination coverage from 15 to 30% and rehabilitated 5 cattle dip.